Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Well I Didn't Know That!!

 
 
They say you learn something new every day...and today is no exception! I  have always admired fuischa bushes and recently treated myself to one. I noticed yesterday the flowers had been replaced by berries.
 
 
I wondered if I ought to "dead head" them to encourage some more flowering.  Whilst still thinking about it, Teen One noticed the change in the bush and asked what they were as they looked like berries. That prompted me to go online and see what I ought to do about them.
Well....what a surprise! It seems the berries are edible!! I didn't take the word of the first website, but checked the Royal Horticultural Society's page....yep...all varieties of fuschia are edible!
 
 
 
I picked a small cups worth....Teen One and I bravely tasted one....and actually...they aren't too bad at all.  A bit  like a bland blueberry. Not distasteful at all, probably better with a bit of sugar added maybe. You live and learn don't you!
 Here are some recipes for you to try !


 
 
I mentioned a couple of days ago I was going to try out a twist on an old recipe ( see below)...Oreo Brownies.
This is it before it was baked, and this is it after...
 
 

 
I reckon the experiment worked! I had wondered if the cream filling would melt but nope, the cookies are all intact! The Teens certainly think so!!
 
 
Here's a little tip my mother in law learnt from her mother in law! Save butter wrappers in the freezer. When you need to line a baking tray, just take out a butter wrapper and you have a ready greased liner...for free! I made the mistake of keeping them in the fridge initially...but the butter goes rancid pretty quickly, so the freezer is the best place.
 
 
 
A friend came for lunch, so we treated ourselves to a loaf of Morrisons  Cranberry and Pumpkin Seed loaf. It really is delicious.
 
 
Just as I was typing today's blog, my neighbours son popped in with this beautiful Pot Mum...how thoughtful!
 
 
Chocolate Brownies
 
175g marg
350g caster/granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 eggs
125g plain flour
1 level teaspoon baking powder
50g cocoa
175g  walnuts (optional)
 
Melt marg, add sugar and essence. Break in beaten eggs gradually. Sift in flour,baking powder and cocoa. Beat well. Add walnuts if using.
Pour into greased baking tray (9" x 12"). If using Oreos, break up enough to make a good covering and add to top of mixture.
 
Bake at 180 f for approx. 40mins, until skewer inserted comes out clean.
 
 
 



3 comments:

  1. fuchsia berries - who would have thought - I have two large fuchsia bushes here as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I didn't know that either!! Amazing will have to find a recipe for those. Xxx

    ReplyDelete