Monday, 15 June 2015

Promises Promises!



As a little girl growing up, I spent a lot of time at my grandparents house. One of the things that fascinated me was a little white box. My Grandmother called it a "Promise Box" and for some years I was never really sure what it was for. I was always very taken with the teeny weeny pair of tweezers that sat on top of the little scrolls inside the box. As I got old enough to read, I realised the little scrolls were portions of Scripture...or "promises."  Over the years I have bought similar boxes ( sadly without the sweet pair of tweezers) for presents and even made simple ones with Sunday school children.
A few months ago I came up with a modern equivalent...Post it Note Promises!
My "Monday Recycled teenager", as well as having the limitations of a stroke to deal with, was diagnosed with the early stages of womb cancer. As you might imagine, on top of widowhood and the stroke, this was rather a shock. To try and bring some comfort and encouragement I take her in a Post It Note Promise each week, then throughout the day, if she is feeling a bit low, she can go and remind herself of one of the many promises the Scriptures give for those who belong to the Lord.
I write out a pile at a time, so all I have to do is pick one up on the way out Monday morning.




The above simmering pot of blue bubbles is a job I have been meaning to do for a few weeks. Its a new batch of playdough for our Mother and Toddler group at church.
I have been using this recipe for about 20 years now and it has never failed me!
I make a large batch each time, the first quantity in each line of the recipe is what I use, the amount in brackets is the original amount and suitable for individual/home play.

Playdough
 
500g (100g) plain flour
250g (50g) salt
5 (1) teaspoons cream of tartar
5 (1) teaspoons cooking oil
750 (150)ml water
food colouring
 
 
Put flour, salt cream of tartar,oil in a saucepan and give a quick stir round. Add 1-2 teaspoons ( adjust to suit) food colouring to the water. Add the water to the rest of the ingredients and stir thoroughly and continually over a low to medium heat. The playdough is ready when the dough has thickened and leaves the sides of the pan almost clean.
Remove and leave to cool.
Leave pan in soak for a few hours, then it will wash with relative ease.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge. Lasts indefinitely!! I have never had a batch "go off."
 
 
 
 
 
All ready for little hands to roll out and generally squidge to their hearts delight !
 
I recently printed off  and laminated some playdough mats from a free site, they are used in most Primary schools in the UK and are an excellent resource. 
 
The sun has decided to come out this afternoon, so my two lines of washing should dry nicely. I am hoping to have a quiet evening with a bit of crocheting. I wasn't happy with a baby blanket edging I completed recently, so have decided to unpick it and have another go. Will let you know how I get on tomorrow.
 



4 comments:

  1. I am amazed that the blue dye noes not come off on their hot hands!

    I too remember those fascinating boxes of scrolls though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once cooked the food colouring is "set" but I usually end up with it on me for a few days just after screwing the lid back on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching little ones create with 'play dough'. Their imagination knows no bounds!! I too remember the promise box that Nan had, I remember pulling one out and putting it back because it wasn't the promise I wanted and then trying again!! I was very young at the time. ( my excuse anyway ). X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I have done the same!! I must see if I still have it. I know it has been in our current house as one of my Sunday school girls used to call in on her way to school sometimes....she was fascinated with the box and when I showed her what it was she then used to go to it every time she came in and pick a promise!

    ReplyDelete